In 1855, upon the counsel of Brigham Young, Joseph Harker, with John and Samuel Bennion, hand-dug the lower ditch to irrigate the farmland on the river bottoms west of the Jordan River.
A small rock dam was constructed on the Jordan River at about 6300 South. Water was taken from the river at that pointand came north to the park site. The ditch skirted the west and north boundaries of the park and then north to the mill.
In 1880, a new grist mill was constructed on the Jordan River near 4800 South. Water was taken from the Lower Ditch to power the mill and the name MILLRACE was applied to the ditch.
This monument is erected for the purpose of paying tribute and honor to those study pioneers who had the courage and fortitude to settle the Valley west of the Jordan River in the Taylorsville-Bennion area.
Sons of Utah Pioneers marker #13
Dedicated October 1986
by the Taylorsville-Bennion Chapter of the Sons of Utah Pioneers
This historic marker is located behind the chapel at 4845 South Woodhaven Drive in Taylorsville, Utah.
October, 1849, under the leadership of Dan Jones, a Welsh company entered the valley. Later, a few settled a farming community along the river a short distance north of here. They were not adept at farming so the settlement was abandoned with many going to Sanpete County to mine coal and settle the town of Wales.
Parks in Taylorsville.
- Autumn Meadows (5300 S. 2200 W.)
- Bennion Park (5600 S. 3200 W.)
- Freedom Shrine (4550 S Jordan River Parkway)
- Gary C. Swensen Valley Regional Park (5100 South 2700 West)
- Labrum Park (a county park) (6041 S Jordan Canal Rd)
- Millrace Park (1200 W. 5400 S.) (a county park)
- Taylorsville Park (4705 S Redwood Rd)
- Taylorsville Skate Park (4721 S. Redwood Rd.)
- Vista Baseball Park (2200 West 5000 South)