In 1855, upon the counsel of Brigham Young, Joseph Harker, with John and Samuel Bennion, hand-dug the lower ditch to irrigate the farmland on the river bottoms west of the Jordan River.
A small rock dam was constructed on the Jordan River at about 6300 South. Water was taken from the river at that pointand came north to the park site. The ditch skirted the west and north boundaries of the park and then north to the mill.
In 1880, a new grist mill was constructed on the Jordan River near 4800 South. Water was taken from the Lower Ditch to power the mill and the name MILLRACE was applied to the ditch.
Sons of Utah Pioneers historic marker #117 erected in 2005 by the Taylorsville Bennion Sons of Utah Pioneers, it is located in Millrace Park at 1200 West 5400 South in Taylorsville, Utah