Lycurgus Johnson Memorial Park

Who was Uintah County’s first elected sheriff? John Lycurgus Johnson became sheriff in the first Uintah County election in 1880. In the center picture, you will see the home Johnson built in 1904. It was located on this site, and in the late 1930s it also served as a cream station. Farmers drove their teams and wagons alongside the porch and unloaded cream cans. The cream was then tested, and the filled cans were weighed to determine the cream’s value.

In 1948 the building was demolished and Bus Hatch built a station for Trailways Bus Line. The bus was parked in this alley to load passengers. In 1990 the Trailway building was purchased by the Troy Burton family. Glimmering Glass opened in the building at that time and continues to operate at present (1998).

John Lycurgus Johnson came to Ashley Valley in 1878 and became actively involved in county affairs. He died June 29, 1908.

Johnson built a store in Ashley Town, four miles northwest of Vernal, and served as postmaster from 1879 to 1887. Under the name L. Johnson and Sons, he operated a flour mill and several stores, including the Big Elephant Store. He represented Uintah and Summit counties in the Utah Legislature for one term in territorial days. He served Uintah County as a selectman for three, two-year terms from 1883 to 1888. In 1890 Johnson acted as a deputy U. S. Marshal. He represented the county in the territorial assembly of 1890. In 1894 Johnson was a representative to the Utah State Constitutional Convention. He served as chairman of the Uintah State Tabernacle building committee, now the Vernal Utah Temple. In 1906-1907, while living in this house, Johnson served as Vernal’s fourth mayor.

This is #20 of the 21 stop history walking tour in downtown Vernal, Utah. See the other stops on this page:

This marker is located at 71 East Main Street in Vernal, Utah