Carbon Power Plant
The Carbon plant was located near the junction of Highway 191 and Highway 6, about a half-mile from this site. The plant was retired April 15, 2015 after 60 years and 5 months of dependable service. Over the ensuing four years, the plant was dismantled, much of the material recycled and the site restored.
When Carbon plant’s two units were constructed by Utah Power & Light Co. during 1953-57, it was the company’s first coal-fueled power plant to be located adjacent to the coal resources. Company publications of the day called it “the first of the giants” due to its large size relative to other hydroelectric and coal power plants on the system at the time. The plant was built to supply the growing needs of the company’s electric customers in the expansive years after World War II. Carbon was a pioneer in electric service in the region, paving the way for larger investments in Utah’s coal country: the Huntington plant, near Huntington, completed in 1977, and the Hunter plant, near Castle Dale, completed in 1983.
Carbon plant’s long service life was due to its relatively low cost and high reliability. During these years, it generated nearly 66.9 million megawatt-hours of energy. That’s equivalent to the energy consumed by some 7 million typical modern homes in a year. But Carbon plant served homes, businesses and industry throughout the Intermountain West. In 1989 when Utah Power became part of PacifiCorp, Carbon plant continued to play a vital role in the larger company’s regional electric network, which today serves customers in six states. Through six decades of dependable public service, Carbon plant employed a total of 699 people, providing well-paying jobs and significant economic benefits for Carbon and Emery counties spanning three generations.
This historic marker is located at the Castle Gate Historic Marker Highway Pull-Off with several others (listed on this page).