Coal was discovered in the Gordon Creek area by Arthur E. Gibson who secured 1500 acres of land in 1908. The town was originally called Gibson, but was changed to Consumers in 1924. Large scale mining did not start until the 1920’s.
During the winter of 1921-1922 Gibson hired ten men to work the mine and during that time they were able to mine thirty-four coal car loads and deliver it to the Wildcat Rail siding by wagon. The Consumers mine was the first in Utah to use conveyor belts to haul coal rather than mine cars.
In 1927, Consumers was bought out by the Blue Blaze Coal Company. By the end of 1938 the Blue Blaze Coal Company was in receivership and the mine closed.
In 1939, MacGowan Coal Company bought the mine at auction. In October 1939 the mine was again sold, this time to the Hudson Coal Company.
By the early 1950’s Consumers has another ghost town. In Consumers history there were nine miners killed.
This historic marker is located on the Price River Parkway Gold Medal Mile in Boulder Park in Helper, Utah and was dedicated by the Matt Warner Chapter 1900 of E Clampus Vitus on September 19, 2020 6025, The Year of Our Order