This one and one-half story, painted-brick ,Victorian Eclectic house, built in 1903, has a central block plan with projecting bays. A wide frieze with dentils and stylized brackets runs around the house under wide overhanging eaves, and the three projecting bays feature exotic arched windows within cornice returns. A water table is defined approximately four feet above grade with two rows of ashlar bricks.
Several changes have been made to the masonry. The front door has been partially filled in with fieldstone, and most of the windows on the east (rear) and north sides have been altered on shape or size. All of the windows have aluminum replacement sashes. The yellow, asphalt shingle pyramidal roof is in good condition, and a weather vane sits at the top. A small, one story frame addition sits at the rear of the house behind the south-facing bay, and a redwood deck has been attached to the rear (east) of the house. A concrete one-car garage is located to the south of the house and bears the inscription “1937 AHJ” above the door. A frame shed next to the garage dates from around the same time.
The front (west) façade features a gabled bay that projects out less than one foot. The centered first story window has a large fixed sash with elliptical stained glass transom above. The upper window has a triangular transom, and the window hood forms an exotic arch around it. Both windows have heavy, ashlar arched hoods with corbelled ends. A concrete porch leads up to the front door, which has been made shorter and narrower with fieldstone infill.
The south façade features exotic arched windows in both the main block and the upper bay at the right. A large fixed window on the main story of the bay matches the one on the front. A one story frame addition with vertical wood siding and hipped roof sits in the ell between the south bay and the rear façade.
The rear (east) façade is partially protected with a canvas awning that spans the deck. Two tall narrow windows with soldier arches have been bricked in and replaced with square aluminum sashes.
All the windows on the first story of the north façade have been changed from tall narrow openings with soldier brick retrieving arches to square or horizontal windows with aluminum sashes. The upper story of the gable at the center of this façade has an exotic arched window matching the others. A tall corbelled chimney on the north roof pitch is in good condition.
This land on which this home sits was originally patented to Roswell Ferre in 1872. This originally
unincorporated section of Geneva Road between Provo and Orem was historically called Lake View. Ten years later Ferre deeded almost nine acres of land to John Williamson. Williamson’s son John, Jr. and his wife, Lovina Clark were married in 1900, and they built this yellow brick home three years later, complete with indoor plumbing and a stove in every room. John, Jr. was born in Lake View February 5,1880.
Sometime between 1911 and 1913, John, Jr. and Lovina sold the home to John’s cousin Alfred Henry Johnson and his wife Mary Murl Holdaway. Alfred was a farmer, supporting his family with dairy cattle, and hay, grain, and sugar beet crops. During the Great Depression Alfred had thirty-five cows. The couple had five children (one died as a toddler), before Mary passed away in 1923 . One year later Alfred married Frances Madsen of Sanpete County in the Manti Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon Church). Together they had two children, the younger being current home owner/Edward Dale Johnson. Alfred parceled off four-tenths of an acre at the northwest corner of this property in 1935 to his second son, Dean Alfred. That year, Dean completed a home on that plot.
In 1949 Alfred deeded the house and one acre of land to his son Edward Dale “Ted,” shortly after Ted’s marriage to Wanda. Alfred kept the farm land, and he and Frances moved down the road. Ted went to work for his father, and they ran the farm together until Alfred’s retirement. Ted took over the family farm at that time, as all of his brothers had their own farming operations in Lake View. Alfred passed away in 1968, and Frances died in 1974.
Numerous changes have been made to the house. In 1933 Alfred and Frances removed the uncovered porch that spanned the front façade. Two years later they remodeled the interior, enclosing the open staircase and sealing three sets of pocket doors in the front rooms. Electricity came to Lake View early in the twentieth century, and this house was hooked up around 1913. Since Ted and Wanda have owned the home, they have altered the window openings on the rear and north (side) facades, and replaced all of the openings with aluminum sashes, and they have lowered all of the first story ceilings. In 1959 the home heating system was converted from coal to gas, and twenty years later the rear screened porch was enclosed.
Located at 1269 South Geneva Road in Orem, Utah