The Owen Herrick Gray House
This one and a half story brick and shingle bungalow was built in 1915. Despite its con- siderable height and size, it is labeled one and a half stories because the upper windows are above the eaves of the roof. Typical of the Craftsman style, the builder combined several materials, in this case brick and shingle, to create a varied texture. Perhaps its most prominent feature is the second story sleeping porch. These porches became popular during the early twentieth century when tuberculosis was one of the leading causes of early death. Sleeping outside in the fresh air was believed to be a preventative measure against the disease. Note the eight openings which allowed for additional circulation of air on the porch. The braced columns on the sleeping porch echo those on the first story porch, and both sets are a character defining feature of the house.
This house was built by Owen Herrick Gray. He bought lots 3 and 4 of Block 1 in the Federal Heights subdivision in 1911 from the Telluride Realty Company but did not build his home until 1915. After graduating from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Gray came to Salt Lake City where he founded Hayward & Gray Consulting Electrical Engineers in 1902. He continued to manage this business until his retirement. In 1916 Gray sold the house to Nellie and Sherman Fargo. Born in Ireland, Nellie was part owner of the Blyth-Fargo Co., an established mercantile with stores in Park City, Pocatello, Evanston, Kemmerer and Cokeville. According to his obituary, Sherman was a “pioneer settler of the West.” In the spring of 1923 they sold the house to Benjamin L. Rich who lived here for thirty nine years. The house then went through a succession of four owners until 1978, when it came into the hands of its current owners, Nagi and Carolee Saber.
(text from a Utah Heritage Foundation booklet)