Lava Hot Springs
Centuries ago the Bannock-Shoshone Indian tribes set aside these natural hot mineral springs as neutral ground for all tribes. Trapper Joseph Miller and party camped here in 1812. By 1863, it was a favorite stop for Oregon Trail travelers. Most early colonists were pioneers from Utah who called their settlement Dempsey. Indians granted the springs to U.S. Gov. who ceded them to Idaho state, 1902. In 1915 the thriving village was incorporated & name changed to Lava Hot Springs.
The text above is from the Daughters of Utah Pioneers historic marker #406, erected in 1979 and located at Lava Hot Springs, Idaho.
These photos were summited by Marshall Hurst: