Rolapp / Royal

The area around the rock formation known as Castle Gate was originally settled as Bear Canyon.

In 1913 Frank Cameron opened a small mine operation and the town was renamed Cameron.

In 1917 Cameron sold the mine to Henery Rolapp and the town was renamed Rolapp. As the town grew it spread across the canyon floor and up Price Canyon.

In the 1920’s the mine was purchased by the Royal Coal Company and the name changed for the final time to Royal.

In 1930 the mine was sold to the Spring Canyon Coal Company, but the town remained known as Royal. At this time Royal had a school, hospital, general store, post office, and a small service station. The highway through Price Canyon was new in 1930 and it became the towns main street.

Four miners died between 1914 and 1916 when the town was known as Cameron. Between 1923 and 1957 while the town was called Rolapp / Royal the mine took the lives of 33 miners.

As happened with other coal camps in Carbon County, by the late 1950’s Royal was just another ghost town.

This historic marker is located on the Price Riverwalk trail in Helper, Utah and was dedicated by the Matt Warner Chapter 1900 of E Clampus Vitus on September 7, 2013 (6018)

N 39.69380 W 110.86191