Provo Pioneers

In the years after Mormon pioneers established Provo in 1849, this area remained largely undeveloped. Settlers built a “dugway” (now Columbia Lane) and bridge as part of the main road from Salt Lake. At the dugway’s base on the north side of the river, Shadrack Holdaway constructed a wool carding mill in 1851, until the Walker War two years later forced him “into town.” What we now call the Rivergrove Neighborhood did not become part of Provo until its incorporation in 1939.

This plaque is located in Lions Park at 1280 North 950 West in Provo, Utah