Dunyon Dell

This marker commemorates the sawmill erected in 1854, just south of this spot, by the Big Cottonwood Lumber Co., and one of Utah’s first smelters which stood 470 feet south east of this marker, between the creek and Dunyon Drive. it is also erected to honor those killed in a snowslide, Jan 1875, and buried in a small cemetery 1500 feet to the southeast. Joy W. Dunyon homesteaded this area for sheep ranching in 1893. Later his children developed the land for canyon homes.

This monument was erected by the Dunyon family in June of 1970 and is located in Silver Fork in Big Cottonwood Canyon at Moose Lane and Old Honeycomb Road. (coordinates N 40.63329 W 111.61468 )