Hoytsville (Summit) is midway between Coalville and Wanship. It was first known as East Plymouth, then Unionville, because the people united here in time of Indian troubles. In 1875 the name was changed to Hoytsville honoring Samuel P. Hoyt.
The LDS chapel in Hoytsville is the site of Historical Marker #37 of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers, which was erected on August 27, 1938. The plaque reads:
This monument is near the site of the old fort, 300 ft. So. west of here. It was on old emigrant trail. Route also used by Overland Stage and part of Johnston’s Army going east in 1861, to participate in the civil war. The fort was built during the black hawk war in 1866, on advice of Pres. Brigham Young to Bishop Winters. 25 families moved their log cabins there. Centrally located it provided protection for families, livestock and grist mill. The mill was the first in this county. Built in 1862 by Samuel P. Hoyt.