picture10jul07-020

Related posts:

The town was originally named Goodsprings Junction. On June 28, 1905 postmaster George Arthur Fayle renamed it Jean in honor of his wife. He also built the Pioneer Saloon in Goodsprings.

Pop’s Oasis Casino was the first casino in Jean. The Oasis closed in 1988. Chips and tokens from Pop’s Oasis were poured into the foundation of the Nevada Landing. When the Nevada Landing was leveled in May 2008 these chips and tokens, some embedded in concrete, were found by collectors.

The welcome center was moved to Primm in early 2000. The welcome center was converted to an NHP substation in 2004.

The median between the Nevada Landing Hotel and Casino and the Gold Strike Hotel and Gambling Hall was the scene of the worst single-vehicle accident in southern Nevada history at that time, when a van with 13 people flipped over and eight people were killed. The accident occurred in March 2000.

The Nevada Landing Casino closed in March 2007. The Gold Strike remains active.