Location: 300 North 200 East, Heber, Utah
During the Blackhawk War the Mormon settlers and the Utes struggled to feed their people. Mormon livestock displaced wild game the Indians depended upon, forcing them to prey upon Mormon livestock.
In the spring of 1867, a hungry Ute was captured butchering a cow in the Heber Valley. Bishop Murdock told him he would be released if he would carry a personal message to Chief Tabby (Tabiona) requesting an end to the long and needless war. A government Indian agent tried to meet with Tabby to talk peace, however the Chief said he would talk only with “Old Murdock!”
On August 19th Chief Tabby and several hundred of his people entered the town of Heber City. They went directly to Joseph’s home where they camped in his yard and pasture. The following day Joseph’s wives and the townspeople prepared a feast on this lot (where this monument is located) owned by John Carroll and a pit was dug to roast enough cattle to feed everyone. Each woman had been asked to bake a dozen loaves of bread and rows of tables were loaded with corn and whatever they could find to feed their guests.
After a day of feasting and talking, Joseph, Chief Tabby, and his Sub-Chiefs went across the street to an upstairs room in Joseph’s home where a peace pipe was smoked and a treaty of friendship was signed.
This treaty ended the fighting between the settlers in Heber Valley and the Northern Utes. Joseph and Tabby served their people well. They honored their vows to maintain peace and remained friends for life.
This is #146 on the S.U.P. Marker list.