The Mount Pleasant Carnegie Library was built in 1917 with $10,000 donated by Andrew Carnegie, one of 23 he donated the money to build in Utah. (See the others on this page)
It is the first and only building constructed specifically for library use in Mount Pleasant, although a library program had been started in the town about five years previous to the construction of the Carnegie library. The library building was dedicated on February 15, 1917.
The Mount Pleasant Carnegie Library is one of the important works of the Salt Lake City based architectural firm Ware & Treganza, one of the most prolific and successful architectural firms in Utah during the first two decades of the twentieth century. Although best known for their residential designs, they also designed numerous commercial and institutional buildings in Salt Lake City and throughout the state. Ware and Treganza designed at least three other Carnegie library buildings in Utah, including those in Lehi, Springville and American Fork. The styling of each of their Carnegie libraries was different and the Mount Pleasant Carnegie Library is the only one they designed in the Prairie Style.(*)