This site marks the southwest corner of the old Parowan Adobe Fort. It was constructed at the direction of LDS leader Brigham Young, to help secure the new pioneers as they developed the mother town of southern Utah.
Conceptualized in 1851, the fort began as a vertical log “picket style” fence then progressed to a massive adobe enclosure. The perimeter was “112 rods square” (one rod equals 16 1/2″ feet). The adobe wall was 10 to 12 feet high, 6 feet thick at the base, tapering to 2 1/2″ feet at the top. The fort was completed circa 1855 and lasted for many years. When the fort enclosure was no longer needed, some of the adobe was restructured into bricks. Remnants of the wall persisted into the 20th century.
The three other corners of the fort are appointed with flat ground level plaques with approximate locations: Northwest corner near 100 North and 200 West, Northeast corner near Pioneer Avenue and 100 East, Southeast corner near 100 East and 200 South.
Sponsored by Sons of Utah Pioneers.
Historians: Barbara Burt, Rex Burton, Kathryn and Doyl Ipson, Lola Ann Johnson Jones, Parowan City Library Staff, Janet Seegmiller (SUU Library), Carey Shurtleff, Joy Talboy.
Construction by Jesse Smith/MJ’s Custom Curb.
Written and funded by Ron and Susan Roth.
Additional history is available at Parowan’s rock church museum.
- Parowan, Utah