The Clifford R. Pearsall House, built in 1891,(NHRP# 83003957) is architecturally and historically significant as one of the ten remaining houses that were original Perkins Addition subdivision, the most visually cohesive example of a streetcar subdivision in Salt Lake City. Streetcar subdivisions played a major role in the transformation of the land south of the original city from agricultural to residential use in the 1890s, and Perkins Addition was considered the standard of subdivision excellence. The Pearsall House, as one of seven houses in Perkins Addition which are variants of one house pattern, documents a significant process in suburban development the use of standardized plans that could be varied to accommodate individual preferences. Additionally, this house type, distinguished by its gable facade and double porch entry, is unique in Salt Lake City, having originated in Colorado.
The Clifford R. Pearsall House at 950 East Logan Avenue was built in 1891 as one of the thirteen large, brick houses constructed in Perkins’ Addition subdivision by Metropolitan Investment Company. The house was first purchased, apparently as investment property, by Herman C. Metalmann, a tinner at King & Yankee, a stove and hardware company, who roomed at 213 State at the time. Metalmann, who is never listed in the city directories past 1891-92, apparently forfeited the property soon after buying it. The title passed through several hands between 1892 and 1896, but during that time the house was never owner-occupied.
Harper J. Dininny, agent for Metropolitan Investment Company, which built the Perkins Addition houses, lived in this house from about 1894- to 1896. He lived in other houses in the subdivision also, including what was apparently his own home at 927 East Logan Avenue (1892-94) and the house at 1630 South 900 East (1898-1900; later demolished). Dininny, a lawyer, later served as Salt Lake City Attorney from 1905 until his death in 1917.
Clifford R. Pearsall, secretary and treasurer of J.H. Leyson, jewelers, who
bought the house in December of 1896, lived here for only a year and a half
before selling it in 1898. Both immediately before and after residing here,
Pearsall boarded at Ford’s Hotel downtown.
Clifford R. Pearsall was born in 1868 in Fly Creek, New York, but moved with his family to Illinois when he was eight years old. He worked in the jewelry business in Elgin, Illinois after graduating from the public schools and received a recommendation from his employer there for a job in Butte, Montana with J.H. Leyson. Leyson also owned a jewelry store in Salt Lake City and, after having Pearsall in his employ for three years, sent him down to Salt Lake City to close out the store there which was not showing a profit. Once in Salt Lake City, however, Pearsall felt that the store could be a success and received permission from Leyson to remain in Salt Lake City and operate the store, which he soon turned into a profitable enterprise. He married Ella J. Davidson in 1896 and, that same year, bought out a Salt Lake business partner’s interest in the store. He continued to operate the jewelry store until his death in 1948, having purchased sole title to it in 1916. Clifford Pearsall was an active member of the First Congregational Church and was involved in the organization and administration of many sporting and social clubs in Salt Lake City, including the Salt Lake Coin try Club (1899), the Alta Club (three-time president), and the Flat Rock Fishing Club, located on the Snake River in Idaho (president, general manager and treasurer for thirty years).
James B. and Cecily Constance Barton bought the house in 1898 from Pearsall and lived here through 1903. Mr. Barton was president and manager of Barton & Hoggan Meat & Grocery Company (101-103 East 200 South). They had lived for several years at 720 East South Temple.
James Bell Barton was born January 11, 1865 in Kaysville, Utah to James and Elizabeth Barton. He moved to Salt Lake City when he was sixteen years old and began working as a teams tier for S.P. Teasdel, a merchandiser. An active member of the LDS Church, he served two missions for the church, one to the Samoan Islands in 1893 and, later, one to Florida. He married Cecily Coulam October 21, 1885 in the Logan LDS Temple. She was born December 25, 1865 in Salt Lake City to John and Sarah Jane Orton Coulam, Mormon converts who had emigrated to Utah from England. She, too, was active in the LDS Church, serving as president in her ward’s Relief Society for many years.
After selling the house in January of 1904, the Bartons moved to a nearby
house at 951 Bast 1700 South, then to 805 East 900 South. Daring that time,
James began working as a meat cutter at L.M. Knight’s, a meat and grocery
merchandiser located in the Sugar House business district at 900 East and 2100 South. In 1907, Barton bought the property next door to this house and built a two-story brick house, similar to, but less elaborate than the original
houses constructed in Perkins Addition. James and Cecily Barton lived in that house until their deaths in 1932 and 1949, respectively.
William H. Tawney, who bought this house in 1904 from the Bartons, lived here with his family until 1958. He was apparently born In Kansas around 1870 and came to Utah around the turn of the century. Mr. Tawney worked as a publishing agent for many years and, later, as a manufacturer ‘s agent, a rancher and a teacher. His wife, Josephine (d. 1931) and children Paul A.,
Seth and Josephine lived here with him for many years. His mother, Samantha Jane Tawney, also lived here after her husband, David’s, death in 1939 until her death at age 100 in 1950. Tawney granted the property to his son, Paul A., in 1958, although he reserved a life estate to the property. Paul sold the house in February of 1959 after William’s death to August J. and Doreen Paoli. The Paolies moved here that year from 802 Sherman Avenue and have lived in the house up to the present.