Alta Club Building
This building has housed the Alta Club for over 100 years. Prominent Utah businessmen founded the exclusive club in 1883. The original members were all non-Mormons and most were involved in the mining industry. The Alta Club’s official exclusion of Mormons reflects the deep divisions between Mormons and non-Mormons in late 19th-century Utah. After the turn of the century, the club gradually began to admit Mormons and helped promote accommodation between the two communities. The Alta Club now welcomes women as members also. Salt Lake City architect Frederick A. Hale designed the Alta Club in the Italian Renaissance style which was popular for men’s clubs.
- This is #6 on the Salt Lake City Tourstops