A Private School House
Built by Brigham Young for his own children – stood on this corner lot 1860 – 1903 This early school was directed by Eli B. Kelsey, who in soliciting additional students, announced in the Deseret News December 12, 1860, as follows: “President Young not only intends it to be used for the education of own family during the day, but purposes it to be thoroughly devoted to further educational purposes in the evenings, including the teaching of vocal music.
“Mr. David O. Calder will open therein two classes for young persons of both sexes, in order that a competent number may be thoroughly taught this simple and beautiful science, so that a uniform system of teaching may be adopted throughout all the schools of the territory. The produce of the valley will be taken in payment for tuition.”