Martin Henderson Harris
Sept. 29, 1820 – Feb. 14, 1889
- Outstanding pioneer.
- Harrisville‘s first permanent settler
- First school teacher
- First presiding elder.
- Nephew of Martin Harris, Book of Mormon witness.
- Missionary to Salmon River and Eastern States.
- County Road Commissioner.
- Surveyed roads through North Ogden Canyon, Ogden Valley, all those north of Ogden River and others in county.
- Used home-made water level to lay out “western irrigation canal.”
- Among the first to introduce the silkworm industry in the county.
- Famous silk dress made by his wife is on exhibition at the pioneer relic hall in Ogden.
- Owned a store at Farr West.
- He was a blacksmith.
- He operated with others a sawmill and molasses mill.
- Farmer and orchardist.
- Played in the Nauvoo Legion band, Utah bands and dance orchestras.
- Hauled logs for Harrisville School and Ogden Tabernacle.
This memorial was erected on the original homesite by his grandchildren on Sept. 27, 1955 – the 105th anniversary of his arrival in Weber County. (at the Martin Henderson Harris Memorial Park.)