Harrington Elementary School
This school was among the first save of public schools built in Utah as a result of an 1880 educational reform. Local legislator Leonard Harrington, for whom the school was named, was influential in changing the educational system in Utah by sponsoring a bill in the Territorial Legislature giving communities the right to support free public schools by taxation. Harrington School survives as the oldest and most significant example of Educational Architecture in American Fork and one of the few remaining buildings of its kind in Utah.
Built in 1903 with a matching 1934 addition to the north, this school is a fine example of the Victorian Romanesque style which dominated Educational Architecture in Utah around the turn of the century. Characteristics of the style include round arched doorways, entryways and windows, rough-faced brick accents, and a rough stone foundation. Original interior features include wainscoting, stairways, blackboards, paneled doors and maple floors. The architect for the 1903 section was probably Richard C. Watkins, State Architect of Schools, who is credited with designing dozens of schools throughout Utah. The 1934 addition, designed by Provo architect Joseph Nelson, was supported by New Deal Program funds and constructed by Chipman Mercantile, a local farm.
Located at 50 North Center Street in American Fork, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places (#93000064) on March 4, 1993.
The building west of the school is also on the same parcel for 50 N Center Street: