Built in several phases during the nineteenth century, this structure consists
of two adjoining vernacular dwellings (built successively), and later extensions (probably dating in the 1890 f s) located at the corner of Main St and Fourth North St.
The earliest structure (facing west) is a vernacular, double pen style
frame and stucco home of one story. It exhibits a rectangular plan with rear shed roof lean-to, symmetrical facade piercing and end chimneys. The front porch overhand of shed roof type has unusually narrow Tuscan supports. Windows are a six-over-six double hung sash type.
The adjoining two story brick structure has a double hipped roof, and a hall
and parlor plan arrangement. Extensive modifications have been made to convert the structures to multiple family dwellings. Additions to the corner area, and an enclosed balcony centered on the primary facade of the two story portion are part of the alteration scheme.
Evidence of title and directory suggests the oldest part of this structure was built about 1873 for Joseph Dean. The style, massing, materials and siting suggest that the one story portion in the rear, facing west, away from Main Street, was the first structure. The vernacular style of the two story brick portion facing 500 N suggest that it was probably added in the 1880’s. The existence of the newer portion by 1892 at the latest is suggested by a directory entry listing Mrs. Amelia Deans address as “rear 77 Peach” (emphasis added).
Dean worked as a carpenter, being employed in the 1890’s in building the
Salt Lake Temple. His wife Amelia, two daughters, Emily and Kate both teachers, and apparently a son William John, machinist, and carpenter lived in the house at one time or another in the 1880’s and 189rfs. With the exception of two small porches, front and rear, the house had come to its present appearance by 1898. The house remained in the family through 1940.