This is a historic marker located at the city park in Clawson, Utah
The settling of Clawson was somewhat later than that of most of the communities of Emery County. It was not until the spring of 1897 that the first homesteads were taken up. Two or three years previously a canal to carry water from Ferron Creek had been started. This was completed in 1896. The little community was then called Kingsville. It lay about two moles east of the present Clawson. In these days people had to depend upon their own resources. They supplemented their diet with wild sego lily roots, bottle weed, and grease wood greens, which grew in abundance on all uncultivated land and on the hills.
Much time had to be spent in keeping the canal and irrigation ditches in repair, and battling grasshopper invasions. For about five years, during the winter, residents were compelled to haul their drinking water from the Ferron Creek at Paradise Ranch, three miles to the east.
About 1902, the president of Emery Stake, Reuben C. Miller, requested the Ferron Bishopric to come to Kingsville to help select a permanent town site. Bishop Hyrum Nelson, and his counselors John L. Allred and George Petty, responded to the call. There was some disagreement over where the site should by. Some wanted it where their homes were now and others thought it should be about two miles west, near the farms of John and James Westingskow.
Bishop Nelson, his counselors, and some others got into his buggy to look the situation over. He had a new buggy and new harness and a lively team of horses, and when he came to the hill just east of where the church house stood, he stopped the team to look around, but when he went to start again, the clip on the singletree broke. Bishop Nelson got out of the buggy, wired it together and started out again, but had gone only a few feet when the other clip on the singletree broke off in the same manner.
So he got out of the buggy and said, This is proof enough for me. This is the place. When the people were informed of the decision, some were dissatisfied, but Bishop Nelson told them that they had better move their houses up to the new location soon, because from observations he had made of the drainage in that locality, that by two years from then, some of the land would be so swampy that they would not be able to move their houses out, and this proved to be true. Everyone then agreed to move to the new town site and since all had simple log houses this was possible. The land was purchased from the Westingskow brothers and laid off in blocks and in no time the houses were moved.
On October 25, 1904, Apostle Rudger Clawson of the Council of the Twelve, came and organized a ward. In his honor the name of the town was changed from Kingston (Kingsville?) to Clawson.
The first store was a small grocery owned by Mr. & Mrs. Herman Thiede. Robert King had the first post office in one corner of a room in his home. In 1917, a water system with a cistern large enough to supply each family with running water was installed. March 1927, the Utah Power & Light Company extended its line through this end of the county and Clawson was glad to discard its old gasoline or coal-oil lamps to enjoy the convenience of electricity.
Clawson was finally incorporated in 1982 after more than three-quarters of a century as a separate but unofficial community.
In 1994 Clawson was annexed into the Castle Valley Special Service District, and a secondary water system was installed. A new sewer system was completed in 1996-1997.