A canal to carry water from Ferron Creek was completed in 1896. Prior to being settled the area was known as North Flat. In 1897, the first settlers arrived, calling the community “Kingsville” after Guy King, who was one of the original settlers. The first school was opened in 1898 in the home of Guy King with Florence Barney as the teacher. She rode fourteen miles on horseback each day to the school.
In 1902, the President of the Emery Stake, Reuben C. Miller, sent the bishopric of Ferron to select a permanent spot for the town of Kingsville. There were two candidate locations: the homesteads and the Westingkow farm two miles west of that. The bishop decided it should be near the Westingkow farm because the lay of the land suggested that the old location could become swampy. Although the settlers initially disagreed, they consented, purchased the Westingkow farm, and moved their log cabins two miles to the west.
On October 25, 1904, LDS Church Apostle Rudger Clawson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles came and organized a ward. The name of the town was changed from Kingsville to Clawson in his honor.
After decades of existing as an unincorporated community, Clawson was incorporated as a town in 1981.
(Other towns in Utah are listed at JacobBarlow.com/utah)