Daughter’s of Utah Pioneers Marker # 200
(other markers listed at JacobBarlow.com/dup)
The town site of Kanosh selected by Brigham Young was surveyed in 1867. The first settlers were Noah Avery, William Penney and Baldwin Watts. Upon advice from Brigham Young, families from Petersburg, Corn Creek, added strength to the new settlement. C-Nos, a Pahvant Indian Chief and his tribe of 400 lived in this locality, hence the name “Kanosh” was given to the place. This tithing office building, erected in 1870, was also used as a meeting house. Culbert King was the first bishop. The Latter-day Saints Church granted use of the building to the Daughters of Utah Pioneers in 1952.