Hiawatha, about 13 miles NW of this location, was named from Longfellow’s poem “Hiawatha.” It was incorporated in Sept of 1911. In June of 1912, along with Blackhawk & Mohrland, it was purchased by the U.S. Fuel Company. Coal produced by Hiawatha came from Emery County, but the town & the mine portal were in Carbon County. In 1912, 2000 tons of coal were produced in a twelve hour period, 20 single & double housing were built, the first motion picture was shown, & the work force steadily increased. In 1938, U.S. Fuel built a new coal preparation plant at Hiawatha, and began extracting Mohrland’s coal through the Hiawatha portal, this spelled the end of Mohrland. In 1991 U.S. Fuel’s continuous miner sections could not compete with modern longwall technology & it was focred to layoff its miners. After 84 years Hiawatha concluded its mining operations & the town dis-incorporated. The era of Hiawatha ended & one of the last company owned mining towns in America ceased to exist.
Matt Warner Chapter 1900 E Clampus Vitus.