There had been trouble with Indians in the south and central section of the territory, so an edict came out from Brigham Young that each town should build a fort for protection. Early in the spring of 1854 Jesse W. Fox, Church Surveyor, came to Kay’s Ward for the purpose of laying out the fort, which was later to become the center section of the town, about midway between the two main roads. It encompassed approximately 15 square blocks, between what is now Main Street and 600 West and 200 North and 100 South. The Spanish adobe wall was to be built of clay (dug from the outside forming a ditch) which was shoveled by hand into lumber forms. The plan of the wall was five feet at the base, tapering to three feet at the top, with a height of six feet. Each able-bodied man would be assigned to build a certain section of the wall himself or hire it done. Only part of the project was ever finished and that was on the south and west sides. The entrance to the fort was located about where Barnes Bank now stands.*