In 1860, brothers William and Philip Nicholls started their bank. IT was one of the longest running businesses in Dutch Flat. The building was torn down in the 1930’s.
In 1883, when Congress passed the Anti-Debris Act, hydraulic mining virtually ceased and the bank ended up owning many mining claims abandoned by their owners.
The second generation of Nicholls, John (son of William) and William (son of Philip), ran the bank until closing in 1912. In order to do business with Chinese citizens of Dutch Flat, John Nicholls learned to speak Mandarin.
This plaque is located on Main Street in Dutch Flat, California.