, , ,

The First L. D. S. Church

La Grande was founded in 1861. On this site the first chapel of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was erected. (1901) it was a frame building 34 x 60 ft. costing $2,100. A brick tabernacle was built in 1907 and the chapel became a recreational hall. Later the church was moved to Fir Street near Y Avenue, renovated and again used as a chapel. In 1929 a new recreational hall was built. The first church became the welfare center of Union Stake. It is a refuge for the hungry and a symbol of thrift for the wise.

This is Daughters of Utah Pioneers historic marker #252, located at the southeast corner of N Avenue and Fourth Street in La Grande, Oregon.