The boat was built in 1866 to provide easy river travel for a part of the route from the Columbia to Boise and Silver City.
It was intended to ply 105 miles between here and Old’s Ferry. Once it even explored the river for 60 miles above here, astonishing the jackrabbits with its ambitious whistle. But business was poor and firewood for the boilers was scarce, and service stopped after a few trips. Finally in a hair-raising ride, the 136-foot, 300-ton boat was run down through Hell’s Canyon and to the Columbia.
This is Idaho Historic Marker #194 located near Melba, Idaho