James K. Knudson
Administrator Defense Transport Administration
– By –
Robert M. Gilmore
From No. 1678, One of the oldest locomotives on the Southern Pacific system, which was built in April 1900 by the Cooke Locomotive and Machine Company of Patterson, New Jersey. During the 52 years it was in operation, the locomotive gave approximately one million miles of service over the various districts of the Southern Pacific. After many years in freight service in this country it was transferred to the Southern Pacific of Mexico in 1946 and operated between Nogales and Guadalajara, Mexico in freight and passenger service until December 1951 when it was returned to this country and retired in 1952.
This bell given to Park Valley, by Cam Harmon, Brigham City, Utah. Erected at Park Valley October, 1969