The Allred – Johnson House, built in 1890 and located in the Spring City Historic District in Spring City, Utah
This one and half story house is a three opening façade “hall, and parlor” house type. The flue is on the internal partition. The rear “L” is also stone and was part of the original structure. The stone is cut blocks with some discoloration and does not extend up the gable to the ridge. The gable has been. filled in with aluminum siding.
This house is important as a late 19th Century, extension of an earlier vernacular house plan, indicating that folk house traditions persisted quite late in the Spring City area. The construction details and fine workmanship make this small house quite exceptional in Sanpete County.
The first declaratory statement and mayors deed are to Nicolai Lund, in -1869-1870. Lund sells to James Blaine in 1878 ($100), then to John W. Allred in 1881 (also for $100). The constant and quite low price seems to indicate that no house stood on the lot in 1881. Allred kept the lot through 1899, at which time he transferred it to Mary Nielsen for $1. In 1901, John H. “Miller” Johnson bought the lot for $450 – undoubtedly the house was completed by this date. Local tradition says that the house was built in the 1885-1890 period by Allred – Ida Billington, now 96 (in 1979), went and played her guitar for the house warming when she was young.
Johnson was the miller at the Spring City Roller Mill which opened in 1900. Later Niels Adler (1906) and Margaret Griffiths (1908) owned the property. Herman Hermansen was also, an owner with the Larsens, the present (1979) owners, buying the place in 1936.
This square log granary is typical Spring City outbuilding. The corner notching is a very rough “v” notch type. The logs are hewn and flush at the ends with the interstices chinked.
This granary constructed c. 1875 is important as an example of a typical outbuilding within the Mormon village context.