The Spring City Chapel for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, locally called the old stone church is located at 164 S Main Street in Spring City, Utah.
- D.U.P. Marker #405 “Spring Town” is located here.
The following is from sanpete.com:
This Gothic Revival/Romanesque-influenced stone LDS Chapel was constructed between 1898 and 1914, although an inscription stone bears the date”1902.” Richard C. Watkins was the architect of this spectacular edifice. Scandinavian masons John F. Bohlin (1844-1924), Jens J. Carlson (1848-1927), Lars Larsen (1852-1924) and Jens ‘Rock’ Sorensen did the stone work. The carpenter’s name was Emil Erickson. The building has an elegant, horseshoe-shaped gallery accessible by a stairway in the tower. The chapel features a sloping floor and an ornamental oak pulpit at the west end. Behind the pulpit, hand-grained sliding doors opened into the annex. From the original exposed flooring to the vaulted and beamed ceiling, the interior is replete with beautifully detailed woodworking, all following the Gothic theme. The pulpit and the handmade rostrum chairs for the ward leadership are skillfully carved. The pew ends are decoratively milled, as is the sacrament table. The exterior is equally impre3ssive with its tall, Gothic windows, tall stone tower and buttress and overall massiveness and solidity.
The chapel was conceived in 1882 by LDS bishop James Anderson Allred (1819-1904), who appointed a committee of twenty men to plan the project. It eventually was built at a cost of $40,000, with $6,000 received from church funds, and the remainder being donated by the men and women of Spring City ward. A masterpiece of LDS Church architecture, this chapel was dedicated in March 1914 by Anthon F. Lund, counselor to Mormon Church President Joseph F. Smith. During construction, a classroom annex was added to the rear. A compatible addition was made on the north in 1978, using rock from the same quarry to carefully match the design elements.