2023 Friends of Historic Spring City Tour

  1. RASMUS & SARAH JUSTESEN HOUSE, 12 N. Main ca. 1875:
    This one and one-half story adobe house was originally stuccoed and scored to resemble cut stone. One of the better examples of vernacular folk building and one of the few remaining adobe houses along Main Street. Built for Justesen’s first wife. Susan Gallacher purchased and restored it in 2002. Owned by Susan Gallacher.
  2. FREEMAN ALLRED HOUSE, 121 E. Center
    ca. 1912: This one and one-half story brick pattern book house is the only early house in Spring City to be placed diagonally upon the lot. Allred was a surveyor and claimed Spring City was not laid out to the true cardinal points of the compass. He situated his house on the true north-south lines and recent surveyors confirm he was correct. Owned by Craig and Susan Christensen.
    ca. 1875: A one and one-half story adobe hall and parlor home. Built by the Frantzens from Norway who served town residents in many ways including years of ecclesiastical leadership. It is one of the few remaining adobe houses along Main Street. One of the rooms in the small house was used as a store. Further improvements were made by John Potter from 2010 until 2017. Owned by Holly and Brent Burton.
    ca. 1911: A two-story adobe-lined, wood-framed commercial build- ing. The first floor operated as a pool hall with a dance hall above. James W. Blain ran a grocery store here and in the teens it was the post office. It also served as a bicycle shop, WPA library, and Dahl’s Grocery. The home was restored in 2007. Owned by Lawrence and Lana Gardner.
  5. ALBERT AND MARTHA PUZEY HOUSE, 87 W. 200 N. ca. 1906: This house was originally an adobe “T” shaped cross-wing type home and in 1913 a rear addition was built. The rear addition was an adobe-filled frame with Dutch Cove siding, which has recently been restored. The kitchen and bathroom with running water were installed after 1948. Current owners have been restoring it over the past four years. Owned by Jhan and Tracy Miller.
  6. PETER JENSEN CABIN, 169 W. 200 N. 1870s: One and one-half story cabin moved to Spring City from the town of Central in Sevier County. One of few remaining Norwegian log houses in Utah and is noteworthy for key notch joints at the corners. So well made that chinking is not required between the logs. Rescued by Tom Carter. Owned by Craig Paulsen
  7. GRIFFITHS/LARSEN HOUSE, 190 W. 200 N. 1910: Built around a log granary which Ephraim Larsen and Everett Griffiths hauled to the west part of the lot. He punched holes for a door and windows and added siding. Purchased by Allan Beck and wife Christie after 1926. Carma Beck retired here and lived until her death in June 2011. Current owners restored the home, built addition, and added gardens. Owned by Jim and Eileen Brown.
  8. ANDREW OLSEN HOUSE/CABIN/STUDIO, 90 S. 100 W. c. 1880s: This substantial one and one-half story hall and parlor house has a rear wing. The front facade has five downstairs openings topped by a threesome above. One of the most pleasing examples of late 19th century vernacular buildings in town. In the late 1990s, the house was acquired and restored by the Mitch Burton family. Current owners continue to preserve and add to the collection of buildings on the property. Owned by Paul and Donna Penrod.
  9. RASMUS JENSEN HOUSE, 116 S. 100 W. ca. 1900: This one and one-half story adobe house was originally stuccoed and scored to resemble cut stone, including simulated quoins and is significant as an example of Scandinavian folk building design with an original rear kitchen. The pediment portico is a later addition. The house was restored in the late 1990s with a recent addition by the current owner. Owned by Ron Henrickson.
  10. MORGAN JOHNSON/JACK WATSON HOME, 90 E. 100 S. 1904: A pattern book “L” plan house. Built by J. Morgan Johnson who was the son of Judge Jacob Johnson. He published The Spring City Echo in 1897, a town newspaper which survived six months. The kitchen and living room suffered a fire in 1988. Purchased in 2020 and restored by its current owners. Owned by Tony and Liz Rudman.
  11. ORSON & MARY ANN HYDE HOUSE, 209 S. Main ca. 1865: This is a two and one-half story stone hall and parlor house with a basement and is influenced by Greek Revival architecture. It served as LDS apostle Hyde’s official residence, office, and home with his wives and children. Three other original limestone outbuildings dating to the 1870s exist on the property. The stone granary to the south is built over a natural spring which was piped into the house to provide culinary water. Owned by Bruce and Bonnie Barker
  12. WILLIAM & MARGARET OSBORNE HOUSE, 216 S. Main ca. 1894: An example of Victorian pattern book architecture. The one and one-half story brick cross-wing house has shingled gables, intricately bracketed eaves, corbelled relieving arches, and polychrome brick. Osborne owned a meat shop and confectionery shop located north of the chapel. His wife operated the house as a hotel and fed prisoners in the Spring City jail. Owned by Gary and Jeanne Wasden.
  13. JENS PETER CARLSON HOUSE, 355 S. 100 W. ca. 1896: A one and one half story Victorian Eclectic cross-wing house, noteworthy for the craftsmanship of its ashlar stone masonry. Local tradition suggests the house was a showcase for Carlson’s considerable talents as a stone mason and that its construction precipitated a rivalry between Carlson and his neighbor Judge Jacob Johnson. There was a natural spring in the basement. Current owners have done much to restore and preserve the home. Owned by Scott and Pam Newman.
  14. JUDGE JACOB JOHNSON HOUSE, 390 S. 100 W. ca. 1875-1896: The largest historic house in town consists of two distinct styles. The south half of the building was the original stone structure, a classically-inspired two-story, half parlor plan. The exterior is stuccoed and scored to imitate ashlar masonry. In 1896, the large Victorian addition was built with a circular corner tower and conical roof. The house and outbuildings were acquired and restored by Chris and Alison Anderson in 2007.
    ca. 1878/86: The original stone section was built between 1878 and 1886. A later addition in 1915 consisted of a bay window and a brick “L” at the rear. James R. Watson traded his Springville home for this property in 1894 and it remained in the family until the 1980s. Greg and Deena Strong acquired the property in 2003, restoring it with the help of Craig Paulsen and Scott Anderson. Owned by the Strong family.
  16. ALLRED/JOHNSON HOUSE, 469 S. 300 E.
    ca. 1887: This one and one-half story, hall and parlor type house has an original rear extension. John H. “Miller” Johnson who operated the Spring City Roller Mill, bought the house in 1901 for $450. The house is important for its vernacular house plan with late 19th-century influences, construction details, and fine workmanship. Current owners continue to preserve the home. Owned by Brian and Ann Stucki.
  17. JACOB JOHNSON FARMHOUSE, SE on Canal Canyon Rd. ca. 1876: Johnson homesteaded 160 acres on this site. He eventually acquired an additional 640 acres under the Homestead Act of 1881. Jacob Johnson, a lawyer, practiced in Spring City and eventually became a 5th District Judge and US Congressman. The house was restored in 2001 by Carl and Jeannie Timm. (See #14 for his other home). Owned by the Timm family.
  • A. OLD FIREHOUSE AND DUP MUSEUM, 46 N. Main Purchase tour tickets at the Firehouse and head next door to the 1893 Old City Hall and DUP Museum for the bake sale and great artifacts.
  • B. SPRING CITY HALL (Old School), 45 S. 100 E.
    Buy your Home Tour tickets here. Purchase or bid on original art on the second floor. Another DUP museum is on first floor. This restored R.C. Watkins School was built in 1899 and is the center- piece of the Friends of Historic Spring City’s efforts to date.
    ca. 1919: The old Johnson’s Mercantile, formerly the Young Men’s Co-op was demolished to make room for the Strate’s Garage ca. 1919. The first automobiles came to town about 1915. It is now the home of Spring City Arts. Peruse and purchase the works of Sanpete artists.
  • D. BAXTER & BLAIN STORE, 190 N. Main
    ca. 1895: Known for the 1940s Squirt ads painted on the sides, this is the best preserved 19th century commercial building in Spring City. It was one of the four general stores in town. Note rock curb, a 1930s WPA project. Owned by Lani and Shirley Britsch.
    An early adobe home built in 1865 by Peter Mikelson is now the home and gallery of artist Lynn Farrar/Sophie Soprano. The home is open for visitors who want to take a look beyond the gallery. Masks are required.
    Jock creates fine quality chairs using traditional tools and methods. The craftsman style bungalow shop was built by Jock to reflect the style of the 1910 home next door that he shares with his wife Bonnie.
  • G. ARTHUR JOHNSON MEAT MARKET, 278 S. Main Best remembered after 1916 as the Arthur Johnson Meat Market, this small brick building was built in 1905 with a two-part block and false front. The store is now home to Joe Bennion’s Horseshoe Mountain Pottery. Owner Joe will have a kiln’s worth of newly-fired wares to buy.
  • H. LORENZO AIKEN SERVICE STATION. 500 N. Main 1924: The city’s first station was built on a corner at a 45-degree angle to the street to allow easy access for cars. The frame building has a hip-roofed canopy supported by wood posts. A tiny shingled room housed the station attendant. Owned by Scott Allred and family.
  • I. LEGACY HOME COLLECTION, 9 S. Main The logs of this 1800s school house were numbered, dismantled and moved to Spring City. A main floor addition, bathrooms, and a second floor apartment were added. Craig Paulsen’s reconstruction of the school house was completed in 2022. Opening in time for Heritage Day, Legacy Home Collection has treasures for Spring City shoppers. Owned by Susan Gallacher, operated by Ron H. Dubberly.
  • J. THE BARN AT SPRING FARM, 50 E. Center This recently developed property boasts a traditional style white pole barn and is where you will find a craft and antique market.
  • K. SPRING CITY LDS CHAPEL, 164 S. Main This oolitic limestone chapel was built between 1897-1911. Proposed to be destroyed in the 1970s. Instead, an addition to the north was constructed of matching limestone and dedicated in 1978. The beam structure on display in the ceiling exemplifies Gothic Revival archi- tecture integrated into many local buildings.
  • L. LYCEUM THEATER/VICTORY HALL, 35 N. Main ca. 1915: The Lyceum Theater, later known as The Victory, was con- structed in 1915 by John R. Baxter, Jr. It featured silent films and later “talkies.” The hall served as a recreational center until the LDS cultural hall was completed in 1976. It was restored in 2012 by the cur- rent owners. Owned by Lawrence and Lana Gardener.
  • M. CEMETERIES, 200 N. 100 E., also West on Highway 117 Spring City has two interesting cemeteries. The historic pioneer cemetery holds many of the earliest pioneer graves including Black Hawk War casualties. Visit the DUP museums for guidebook information.
  • N. SPRING CITY NATURAL SPRING, 100 N. Main Located in the heart of town, this fresh water spring is one of many for which the town has been named. The water flows non-stop.