This spring was long used by Indians and early scouts as a camp site. James Allred, directed by Brigham Young on March 22, 1852 led his sons and their families here to build their homes. In 1853 a large colony of Scandinavian emigrants joined them. The waters of Canal Creek and natural springs supplied the settler. Twice, the Indians drove them out, burning their fort and all their possessions; but in 1859, they returned to establish permanently the town of Spring City.
(The marker with the above text on the east side of the monument was placed in 1950, two more were added in 2016 and the text is below)
A long, wooden watering trough (later metal, then concrete) served livestock corralled in town, as well as old highway 89 travelers, from a rocked-in spring on Main Street until 1931 when it was moved to the side. Many children of the town escaped summer’s heat by dangling their warm legs in the cold spring water until those limbs turned blue. The area near the spring and monument was also a youth meeting place after weekly Church meetings, with alleged courtships having their beginnings here.
In early days, baptisms occurred in ponds, deep ditches, or in the Manti Temple font after 1888. Another option became available in 1889; the City granted permission for a 24′ by 26′ cabin to be built here at the request of Lauritz Larsen, local LDS Ward official. It was used until 1914 when the rock chapel was dedicated. It housed a large, square, tin tub filled with cold spring water piped from the William Blain spring in the center of Main Street.