Payson’s Pioneer Industry
The Pioneer Millstone designates the centennial of Payson City, founded Oct. 20, 1850, by Mormon settlers. Near this monument on Peteetneet Creek was erected the first public building, a log cabin used as a school, church and fort. A sawmill and flour mill were build by 1853. A nail factory, one of the first west of the Mississippi River in 1860; a planing mill, one of the first in Utah Territory in 1861, and Payson’s first public school was opened in the Spring of 1866.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup