The Railroads of Pioche
Railroads were the best option for moving ore in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. For the mines of Pioche, four railroads eventually served the area.
The first was started in 1872. Originally called the Pioche and Bullionville, it was reincorporated as the Central Nevada Railroad in 1873, and renamed the Nevada Central, though not related to the railroad near Ely. It went out of business in 1880.
In 1889, the Pioche Pacific Transportation Company, known as the Jackrabbit Line, built a new narrow-gauge line. The Pioche Pacific connected with the Jackrabbit Mine to the east. It did not finally close until 1948.
Next was the Caliente & Pioche Railroad. It was built by San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake Railroad starting in 1907, and connected Pioche to the outside world. It became part of the Union Pacific.
The final Pioche railroad was the Price Consolidated Railroad which began constructed in 1912. It too became part of the Union Pacific in 1940.
This plaque (located at Pioche Town Park at 186 4th Street in Pioche, Nevada) was placed by the Queho Posse, #1919 of the ancient and honorable order of E Clampus Vitus, with the Town of Pioche and the Pioche Chamber of Commerce.