Beaver Dam is an unincorporated community in Box Elder County, Utah, United States.
Beaver Dam was settled in 1867 by people from Providence and Deweyville, and named for the numerous beaver dams along nearby Willow Creek.
In 1868, the first co-op dairy in Utah was established there.
- Cutler Hydroelectric Power Plant Historic District
- Hansen Cooperative Dairy
Jim Bridger, the famous mountain man, has been given credit for being the first white man to enter the Bear River Valley. Whether he came down the river on a boat or entered from Cache Valley on horseback, he no doubt passed through Beaver Dam. In August and September of 1843, the famous explorer John C. Fremont also traveled through the Beaver Dam area. The Mormons were the next to arrive, driving cattle through the easy oasis in the hills to the lush pasture land of Cache Valley.
The first permanent settlers of Beaver Dam came in 1867 or 1868. Early settlers came to the area from Providence in Cache Valley to engage in stock raising. They enclosed a small field containing about 72 acres located just north of the present day Beaver Ward Chapel and proceeded to make a ditch in which to carry water to their land for irrigation purposes. The settlement was known as Beaver Dam because of the numerous and sizable beaver dams built in the small creek that passes through the area. The Brigham City Cooperative Dairy was established above Beaver Dam about this time and was also an influence in attracting settlers to this area.
In the 1880’s the people of Beaver Dam found that the surrounding hillsides and rolling valleys could be used for dry farming. This new industry brought more settlers. In 1881 Jarvis Johnson moved from Brigham City and was influential in building in the area.
In 1898 the residents of Beaver Dam erected a very commodius Church building. Much of the actual cash for the building was paid by the Hansen family, and many ward members paid their share toward the building by plowing and doing other work for the Hansens up by the dairy. Though remodeled two major times since then, this same church building is being used by the Beaver Ward today.
An unfortunate incident in the history of the town was the installation of a pumping plant to draw water up to irrigate 500 acres of land north of town. The project cost many thousands of dollars, but later proved to be too expensive and unsuccessful.
In recent years agriculture has become less important to the Beaver Dam economy. Its beautiful location in a somewhat secluded valley close to both Tremonton and Logan have made it a desirable location. In 1996 the citizens of the Beaver Dam and Collinston area had the area zoned to help preserve its open pastoral setting.(*)