Erection of the first L.D.S. Church in Salina was commenced in 1864 when rocks were hauled from a quarry two miles away. Soren Neilson, a stonecutter, supervised the work. When the structure was built to the square, the people used it as a fort. Because of the Black Hawk War the building was not completed until 1871. One large room, 64 x 32 feet was later divided. It served the community for church, school and other gatherings. This bell atop the monument called the people together on every occasion.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup