Settlers came to this part of the valley around 1850 to farm and stock range. It was known as Pleasant Green and was part of the Brighton Ward of the Salt Lake Stake.
Traveling so far to meetings presented a problem, so members met in private homes. The Pleasant Green Branch was organized July 29, 1877, with John Hirst as presiding elder. A small adobe chapel, 40 feet by 24 feet, was built on this site, and the first meeting was held December 30, 1877. The building also served as a public school. Hirst died September 7, 1878, and Levi Nephi Hardman became presiding elder.
The Pleasant Green Ward was organized October 1, 1882, with Hardman as the first bishop. The ward also included the Hunter Precinct within its boundaries. A much larger chapel, 60 feet by 30 feet, was built in 1897, with Hiram T. Spencer as bishop. Later the small adobe chapel was dismantled. In 1898 the ward had 70 families with 340 members.
In 1904 the ward became part of Pioneer Stake. An amusement hall with spring wooden floor was begun in 1912. Oquirrh Stake was organized from Pioneer Stake in 1923, and this building also served as its stake house for thirty-two years. In 1961 a new building was completed, and this building was no longer used by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup