Pleasant Valley Junction about 1/2 mile south of this site, began in the early 1880’s when the Rio Grande Railroad extended the main line from Tucker over the summit into Carbon County. A round house was built and a branch line extended to the Pleasant Valley Coal camps. All coal shipped from Pleasant Valley used this new route. The area, renamed Colton in the late 1890’s, was important as a railhead for livestock shipment, general freight and a thriving ice industry. Another part of Colton’s economy was the mining and milling of ozokente, a mineral wax found only here and in Austria. The store behind this monument was moved from the original townsite in 1936. Dedicated July 13, 1991.