We enjoyed exploring Cleveland, it’s a nice little town.
One D.U.P. Marker told of some history. Other historic markers, memorials and cool old buildings and some public art too.
Cleveland was first settled in 1884 by Samuel Nelson Alger and Henry Sr. These two men took up homesteading and soon after twenty five-families joined them. Firm roots began to take hold, and gradually with hard work and persistence, Cleveland began to grow. These families were typically pioneers. Cleveland was named after Grover Cleveland who was President of the United States in the 1880s.
The “old timers” claim that farms within the boundaries of Cleveland require less water than other farms in Emery County and had the most productive ground. Many of the founding fathers came to Cleveland because of good reports of plentiful grass and good homesteading. The reason that Cleveland was not settled sooner was the lack of a sufficient water source and supply.
In 1890, a log school with plank benches was built but was outgrown by 1893 when a frame building was built. Later a two-story section was added. The adobe brick school was built in 1912. Harry B. Mortensen and C. Leslie Bennett were instrumental in getting sports, music, and speech programs stated for school students. A new school was built in 1976 and remodeled in 1989.
Cleveland’s people loved social activities, and they had quite a few socials and parties. Departure of missionaries and servicemen were an exceptionally good reason for a get-together. In April 1910, Ernest E. Davis built a large Opera House. Many dances and weddings were held there also. In April 1923, a silent movie picture machine was installed with a player piano for music. In 1928, a talking movie projector was installed. A roller skating rink was added in 1937. These buildings do not exist there today.