In 1875, Leander Lemmon and James McHadden, seeking a good range for their horses found feed plentiful at the mouth of Huntington Canyon and vicinity. Mr. Lemmon brought sheep and cattle from Cottonwood, Salt Lake County. In the autumn of 1876, he built the first log cabin on Huntington Creek near this marker. An irrigation ditch was dug, taking water from the nearby creek. The town is situated on Huntington Creek, from which it receives its name.