In 1868, the town of Argenta was founded as the first Central Pacific Railroad station in Lander County. The town, 10 miles west of this marker, was named by Judge E.B. Crocker. A post office opened and the railroad established an eating station, and a distributing point for Austin. Argenta has the misfortune of being located too far from the natural roadway to Austin. The railroad surveyed a new station at Battle Mountain and in the winter of 1869-7- the town moved to the new location, Argenta siding is now a rail point for Barium from the Shoshone Mountains and hay from the Humboldt River ranches.
Located at the Beowawe Rest Area.