While exploring Utah Jesse Knight is a common name to come across, he was born in Nauvoo, Illinois in 1845 and became a weathly mining magnate in Utah.
He was one of the wealthiest, if not the wealthiest people in the Provo area for many years because of his great success in mining and business.
A great bio for Jesse is on this page.
Some of the places I’ve documented that are related to him are:
- Amanda Knight Building (named for his wife)
- Gates-Snow Building (Knight purchased it in 1898)
- Jesse Knight Grave in Provo
- Jesse Knight Mansion in Provo
- Knight Block Building in Provo
- Knightsville, Utah (his company town for his employees to live in.)
- Provo’s First Cooperative (Knight purchased it in 1898)
- Provo Woolen Mills (Knight purchased it in 1910)
- Raymond, Alberta, Canada (a community he founded)
- Silver City
- Storrs, Utah (a community he founded)
- Tintic Standard Reduction Mill