In 1870-72, four rods north of this site, Provo Woolen Factory was built at a cost of $155,000. Main building was stone, 65 x 145 ft., 4 stories high; another was 33 x 134, 2 1/2 stories. A county court house built on this block in 1867 and John Taylor’s Flour Mill became part of the plant. These properties, workmen and materials were obtained by issuing stock. Machinery installed costing $75,000. Employees were paid in factory scrip. First cloth, dyed by H.B. Smart, produced in 1873. It was the largest manufacturer of woolen fabrics west of the Mississippi River. Jesse Knight purchased the mills in 1910 and operation continued until 1932.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup