Mormon Pioneers came to St. George in 1861 where they found rocks of many kinds for building purposes. After Brigham Young, President of the L.D.S. Church, advised them to erect a large meeting house, long layers of red sandstone ten inches thick were found in ledges north of town. Slabs of rock, loosened with wedges were loaded on running gears of wagons and hauled to the Tabernacle site. In 1871 a black lava quarry was located to supply rock for the foundation of a temple and stone for its walls came from the red sandstone quarry. Stonework on both buildings was completed by 1875.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup