In 1911, after the depletion of ore at Dragon, Utah, the Uintah Railway extended its line northwest along Evacuation Creek to the terminus of Watson. From this railhead a toll road ran north to points in the Uinta Basin. The rail extended southwest to the mining camp of Rainbow. Watson became the center of Gilsonite and ranching activity with hotels and stores. Thousands of sheep were sheared and wool shipped from here.