Joseph and Mina Mickelsen House
Built in 1929, the Joseph and Mina Mickelsen House is a large, one-story, hip-roofed bungalow with wide caves constructed of striated brick in a stretcher bond. The building is significant for its association with the development of Draper in the first half of the twentieth century. For much of the twentieth century, the poultry business was the single most important economic force in Draper. Sources estimate that nearly one-third of Draper’s workforce was associated with the poultry industry during the peak years between the 1930s and the 1950s. Joseph E. Mickelsen was the Secretary, Tresurer, and Manager of the Draper Egg Producers’ Association Inc., for over forty years. Just across the road from the poultry feed mill and egg producers’ plant, the house he shared with his wife Mina Wadley Mickelsen was a community showplace and gathering spot for leaders in the poultry business and other community members. The house was moved from its original location at 1020 E. Pioneer Road to 782 E. Pioneer Road in 2002, and was rehabilitated in 2002-2003 by Rob and Jan Perry as a historic federal tax credit project for use as an office. Despite the move, the house retains its historic integrity and is a significant resource within the City of Draper.
Joseph E. and Mina Mickelsen
This one-story hip-roofed bungalow was built in 1929 on property now occupied by the Draper City Hall. When built, the house was a showpiece with the first colored bathroom fixtures and first automatic watering system in Draper. When demolition threatened the home at 1020 E. Pioneer, community members mounted an effort to preserve the home as an example of historic preservation for the community of Draper. Through the efforts of Katie Shell, Lynn Kimball and other members of the Draper Historic Conservation Commission, the home was obtained by Rob and Jan Perry in 2002.
Moved to its present location and carefully restored as office space, this historic asset is situated in an identical orientation on property originally owned by Samuel and Verda Gray Crane. The land specifically purchased to relocate this local historic jewel was enabled through the generous co-operation of the Lorna C. Rogers family.