The A.B. (Aurelius) Fitzgerald Home
Aurelius W. Fitzgerald was educated in Draper and became a prominent sheep farmer. He built this home in 1898 for his bride, Mary Ellen “Nellie” Brown. It is constructed of adobe brick with a granite foundation. In 1912 a two-room basement and two rooms on the main floor were added, replacing the old back porch. The house was completely remodeled in 1952 when electrical wiring, plumbing, closets and lights were added throughout. The entire upstairs floor has remained vacant and unfinished for over 100 years. In 1994 Clay & Collette Leavitt began remodeling the house to return it to its original period look. The kitchen floor was refinished with 10-inch wide pine planks salvaged from the old granary behind the house. The tall silo behind the house was part of the milk house that was one of several buildings in the barnyard.
The Fitzgerald House, constructed in 1898, is a 1 1/2″ story brick Victorian Eclectic residence located on Fort Street. The house is locally significant for its association with the rise of sheep-ranching families in Draper at the turn of the twentieth century. The period of significance spans the productive lives of sheep ranchers, Aurelius W. and Nellie Brown Fitzgerald, and their son, Aurelius B. Fitzgerald, from 1898 to 1960. The prosperity of Draper ranchers during this period is represented by four Victorian-era mansions along Fort Street. Built around the same time as the mansions, the Fitzgerald House is more modest in scale, but features Victorian Eclectic ornamentation similar to its larger neighbors, retains excellent historical integrity, and is a contributing resource along Fort Street in Draper.